Govt condemns vandalisation in Transcarpathia

The Hungarian Prime Minister’s Office and Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto have firmly condemned the vandalisation of cars with Hungarian number plates in Transcarpathia’s Berehove (Beregszasz), on Friday.

They said in separate statements that the incident in which windows of seven Hungarian-registered cars were smashed by unknown perpetrators in a housing bloc area in the town in western Ukraine in the early hours on Friday was unacceptable.

Deputy Prime Minister Zsolt Semjen and State Secretary Janos Arpad Potapi called the incident a “clear provocation” against ethnic Hungarians of the Transcarpathia region.
“It fits well into the series of recent acts targeting the Hungarian community,” they said, referring to late last month’s petrol bomb attack against the headquarters of ethnic Hungarian cultural association KMKSZ in Uzhhorod (Ungvar).

In his statement, Szijjarto also called it unacceptable that Hungarians have “to live in fear” in their motherland, in Transcarpathia.

He said this recent attack justifies his earlier call for the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) to extend the presence of its special observers to the region.

The PM Office and the foreign minister both called on Ukrainian authorities to take action concerning the recent incident as well as to provide for the security of Transcarpathia Hungarians.

Source and photo: MTI

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s